Tuesday, December 25, 2007

So this is Christmas

¡Feliz Navidad!
December 25th. It´s Christmas. Really? that´s how i´ve been feeling and it kind of makes me sad. I didn´t really get that many presents but thats ok. I´ve felt hotter today than any other day. And all I did today was sleep.
Apparently I´m sick with some sort of sinus thing. Its so weird having a stuffy nose in 80 degree weather. It´s hard to tell yourself that yes, you´re sick; about as hard as trying to convince yourself it´s Christmas.
We ended up having delicious tacos for lunch yesterday and then we went to church. For some reason, I have a hard time understanding spanish when it´s at church. When we got back my gradma really wanted to go see this nativity set in Managua. So we piled into 3 cars, drove a good 20 or 30 minutes looked around for 10 minutes or so and left haha. It was very nicely done but it didn´t take long to look at. So we came back and did the Christmas play. That was interesting because my mom was narrating the story in spanish and the kids were acting in it... and 95% of them didn´t understand spanish. It went pretty good though... everyone was dressed up in costume. I was a cow lol-- just wait for the pictures. The best part about being in the play was that you could see everyone´s emotions and expressions up close and most of it was rather hillarious. We did it outside so it was kind of dark and hard to see from the audience.
The adults for some reason decided they wanted to eat at midnight but this was rediculous so we ate around 11 instead. It was a delicious turkey with gravy! yum. Then the kids exchanged gifts.... I had no idea what I had gotten my cousin Briana because my mom had bought it and wrapped it lol so that was fun being like ¨so... what did I get you?¨ She got me this adorably cute dog that was pink and white and super soft with an Itunes gift card. I loved it. And luckily she LOVED her littlest pet shop thing. Then we watched the adults play the white elephant game which was pretty funny. There was a battle over these hammocks.
Finally we ended the night with ¨globos¨ which are like hot air balloons made out of tissue paper. they were so pretty. and if you ever tried to do them in the US it would be illegal-- huge fire hazzard lol. Oh and one thing I forgot to mention. like 10 minutes before midnight it started... firework after firework. It seriously sounded like someone was making popcorn thats how many there were going off. and it lasted a good 30 minutes. When we went outside to do the globos we thought we were looking at clouds when we realized it was the smoke from the fireworks.
Since we did all that on Christmas Eve-- Noche Buena-- we didn´t do anything today. Its almost like we didn´t celebrate Christmas at all. And I kind of like it. It´s nice not having to make a big fuss and be all wrapped up in the presents and ¨holiday spirit.¨ I wonder what I would be doing if we hadn´t come to Nicaragua for Christmas.
I´ve had a lot of time to do nothing while I´ve been here... everyone is either too little or too old to hang out with. My cousin brought his wife and friend and they´re all in there 20s but after last night I found out how annoying they all are when together. His friend used the experession ¨so phat.¨ come again? who says that? Ok ok I´m being overly judgemental.
The amount of clothes I wear here at night is rediculous but it gets kind of cold and I don´t want to be eaten alive by mosquitos. The end result has been giant welt like bites on my wrists and hands where they decided to get me anyway. I just hope I don´t get any on my face.
Tonight we´re going to my uncle´s house for dinner and I think he lives pretty close to Managua. After tomorrow I have one more week to go but it feels like so much less. There´s so much I want to make sure I do. Its hard to get anything done with so many people though. It´s weird to think I´ve only been here for 3 days. I haven´t even gone exploring the whole farm.
Oh and some good news: I might actually get to see the Dawgs play at the sugar bowl! My uncle here has a satellite with Fox Sports and my dad thinks they´ll show the BCS bowls so awesomeness.
I think more family is getting here tomorrow. :x oh boy.

No comments: